Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Start Middle Eastern and end with pig...Politically Paradoxical Gourmet!



Minced Turkey Tabbouleh (Taboolie)

1 Lb of Ground Lean Turkey
3 cups of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh mint
4 or 5 finely chopped spring onions (with the green parts)
4 ripe, medium size tomatoes, chopped into small cubes
1/2 tsp allspice (Sweet Pepper - "Pimienta Dulce")
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 TBS good olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 Clove Garlic

This is my very own way to increase my protein intake and not notice.
The ground Turkey gets very dry when you cook it in a skillet (and that is how you want it!) express all the liquid and save for a stock (Hint hint!) Freeze it in a Ice cube's Tray I have all sorts of goodies stored like this from Pesto to Sofrito...VERY HANDY
Chop the hell out of all the other ingredients ( I like to add a little bit of fresh minced garlic when I serve this to guess but since garlic is healthy.. and since I have no bed partner adding a lot is good too...) Once all ingredients are minced and mixed, use a sieve or cheese cloth ( or just break the Bounty aka: sturdy paper towel) to drain the liquid (Since it is mostly from the tomatoes this juice would make a great apha hydroxyde peel). Then add the pepper, salt, allspice (Hey just a little of this stuff or your Taboulie will taste like Pumpkin Pie) Finally add the lemon juice and olive oil. Use it in everything from Lettuce wraps ( My Favorito!) to saltines or Tortilla Chips.

I am "blogging" away reading on politics and the coming elections...I do not discuss politics here but that does not mean I do not follow what is happening...after all the future of our nation and mine depend on the outcome of this elections...have I not heard that thousand times before...{YES} but never has it sunk sooo deep and meant sooooo much to me. BTW I am sitting here reading a fellow bloggie's political commentaries. The link is right above check him out he is cute, fun, but most of all a great writer with a very light and comedic way to say pretty outrageous things that get you thinking.

Much to my dismay I am kind of sick so dinner has actually been chicken soup and cheese flavored puffs (The kind you buy in bulk packages and I have come to forever know as "Southey Shrimps" (after an of color comment my friend M.F. offered a hostess at a "bleu collar" party in South Boston....)

Jalapeno Apple Sauce

1 Jar of Apple Sauce (Store) or Make your Own
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, de-seeded, scored with fine slits (optional)

Warm up your sauce if store bought...PLEASE MAKE SURE THE LID AND THE LABELS ARE REMOVED BEFORE NUKING IT!
Ok Ok Microwave away but if you are an overachiever running away from your own demons (Like me) make your own and use it while it is still steaming hot...
Place the Jalapeno in the dead center of the jar with the sauce. Close the lid tightly and leave outside to cool several hours.
return to the refrigerator and store for several days to several months (DISCLAIMER I DO NOT MAKE MY SELF RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FOOD POISONING THOUGH I HAVE SURVIVED MY LAST BATCH FROM THREE MONTHS AGO...)
(Great on Roasted Pork Shoulder)
(PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SCRATCHING YOUR EYES OR ANY OTHER ANATOMICAL PART OR YOUR SELF WHILE HANDLING PEPPERS...)

No comments:

Post a Comment